Being part of tons of different fandoms, I've read hundreds of fanfiction stories. From Star Wars to Jimmy Neutron and from Pixar to anime stuff. And I don't think there's a WORSE fandom than that of High Schol DxD, fanfic-wise. Most of the stories are so boring, so unoriginal, so repetitive, that I seriously don't understand why they get so much attention.
Some stories are pretty good, but the majority of DxD fanfics follow the EXACT SAME RECIPE:
- A smug, genius and insanely OP Issei who NTRs every girl in the DxD universe. 98% of the stories are exactly that. Only 2% of the DxD fanfics written have an Issei that actually resembles the protagonist of High School DxD.
- If it's not Issei, then it's gotta be an OC who has the exact same characteristics I mentioned above. Seriously, what's with all these OCs? I mean, I understand that most of you want to use some characters that you came up with in your stories, but when your story consists of 90% OCs and 10% actual DxD characters (that are completely OOC in your story too), it gets ridiculous. Guys, nobody cares about your generic OCs. We care about the DxD cast. So, instead of writing stories that only focus on your OCs, maybe you should write some stories that follow the original cast of DxD first. And if these stories are a good read, maybe I'll be interested in checking out a fanfic that focuses on your OC. In case you didn't know, there are thousands of fanfics about crazy strong OCs that sleep with tons of girls: Using this cliched kind of protagonist makes your stories both boring and unoriginal. In my case, I'm currently writting 5 DxD fanfics, and out of all them, only ONE of them contains an OC. And he is neither a smug, man-whore asshole, nor is he insanely OP (he does get freakishly strong, but I've also put limits to his power, unlike the majority of OCs, who have every single power imaginable-that is also a big cliche). And that story will also be the last one I finish, because I feel like I should create a story about the cast of DxD before moving on to a story that focuses on my OC.
- Stories that lack any sort of punctuation marks or proper grammar. What the hell am I even supposed to say about this?
- Poorly written lemons. Do not misunderstand me, I do like lemons... as long as the authors put actual effort in writting them, and as long as they are not overused to the point where there is more porn than plot... which is the majority of DxD lemon fanfics.
- Another thing that annoys me is how OOC the original DxD characters are in the majority of DxD fanfics. For example, there are tons of stories where Grayfia is a MILF slut who sucks anyone's dick, because Sirzechs is a cheating bastard who neglects and abuses her. NOTHING LIKE THE ACTUAL CHARACTERS, since Sirzechs and Grayfia are the most lovey-dovey couple in the series. But no, let's not write any stories where they are actually acting like themselves. Let's just make them OOC and have them act like assholes. There are literally more stories where Sirzechs and Grayfia are totally OOC than stories where they are themselves. I'm not even kidding.
- Genderbend stories. I mean, female Vali? FEMALE VALI? YOU TAKE THE MOST BADASS STORY IN THE ENTIRE DxD UNIVERSE AND THEN YOU TURN HIM INTO A CHICK? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS? Good grief... as if we didn't have enough chicks already.
- Stories that have no plot but are stretched out for 30 chapters or more. Do you really expect me to read through 30 chapters of nothing but a guy fucking a thousand girls in a thousand different ways? Your story doesn't have a single hit of a "plot" (and you also feel offended when some of your reviewers tell you exactly that), but you keep writing, because it's a series of lemons that some horny 12 year olds want to jerk off to. You may be able to impress them, but not me. Stories that have zero plot have no reason to be as long as 30 chapters.
- The fanfics that are 100% written based on the readers' ideas. There are some stories where the author asks for requests and ideas on every single aspect of the story. Don't get me wrong, asking for ideas is fine. But when you ask for ideas on EVERY SINGLE DAMN CHAPTER and base your ENTIRE story on them shows that you have zero inspiration on what to write.
- The most hilarious part, however, is when the authors receive negatige reviews. Being so butthurt, they will either stop continuing the story or, most likely, reply with flaming. Hey, boys, what's going on? Can't you take the heat? If that's the case, maybe you should try writting something more original and stop acting like your fanfic is a masterpiece, coz it's most certainly not. Now, I don't want you to think that I believe that my stories are anything special, coz they aren't (although they sure as hell are way more original than 95% of the entire population of DxD fanfics). However, the difference between me and most other authors is that I know EXACTLY how good my story is, in contrast to them, who take their overglorified hot garbage way too seriously. Wake up, boys. Your stories are nothing special. They're bad. VERY bad. And don't forget: receiving reviews is also part of the experience of being an author. If you post something online, everyone has the right to say their opinion on it. You have the right to either accept it or not, and act like an immature idiot. You also have the right to IGNORE these reviews, you know. Nobody's forcing you to reply to them, but flaming the reviewers for telling you that your story sucks is stupid, especially when the reviewers are right.
Bonus complaint: the hell is the deal with the DxD community in Amino? Does it consist of nothing but 10 year olds who mostly make posts about their OCs (and by "OCs", I mean pictures of the original cast of DxD that have had their hair or eyes color changed-I know, very creative) or explaining why they're inactive? We are here for High School DxD, not for you or your crappy OCs.
I swear, the DxD community is full of idiots. There are far more perverted anime shows or games that have a much healthier fanbase. Like Monster Girl Quest, which is far more perverted than High School DxD, but the fans are not as dumb as the DxD fans... *sigh*
Anti-complaint: IT'S NXT TAKEOVER NIGHT! LET's GO, ALEISTER! LET'S GO, JOHNNY!